Common WordPress SEO Mistakes, 2017 Edition
WordPress is used on over 25% the all sites across the web. It’s easy to understand why. It’s extremely user-friendly, intuitive, easy to post, update and remove pages, and is very SEO friendly. However, WordPress sites are not created SEO friendly. It requires custom work to be done on the backend, and this requires a professional.
Here are some of the biggest SEO issues WordPress sites are facing in 2017:
- Missing XMP sitemaps provides another very easy machine-readable format for search engines to crawl the URLs that make up your website.
- Missing HTML sitemaps is similar to the XML sitemap. The HTML sitemap serves as a table of contents for search engine crawling bots as well as users.
- Duplication issues within blog pages and single posts. Duplication is the number one issue that websites face that can get them blacklisted from Google search results. This is extremely important to avoid.
- Duplication issues within the blog archives including authors, tags and categories. We want to stress how important it is to avoid duplication. Search engines do not like wasting their time reading the same thing multiple times.
- Canonical issues with HTTPS and HTTP versions of your website. Search engines can read both versions of your site, thus creating a major duplication issue. Not to mention the value the SSL certificate has. Take full advantage of your SSL certificate advantage and the boost your website can have over other websites.
- Hidden hacked pages is not an uncommon practice for web hackers. WordPress is unfortunately very vulnerable to this type of SEO malpractice. Keep your website updated and secure to avoid this.
- Adding analytics in the proper spot of your website does not happen automatically. This is a manual implementation process and if done correctly could not work at all or break your entire site.
- Unique meta data is important to have to avoid duplication in your on-page SEO efforts. This is also a manual implementation process
- Mobile-friendly website is one of the most important tasks for websites to accomplish. This is not done automatically and will require a web development expert who can manipulate elements to fit any screen on any device. Consumers have gone mobile – in fact, nearly 60% of searches are done on mobile phones. You can’t afford to lose this business.
If you are not an expert in local SEO or web development, do not fear. SEO Locale is a Philadelphia-based full service digital marketing agency and we are here to help you grow. For an absolutely free consultation, please call us at 267-368-7905 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.